Metra oversees all commuter rail operations in the 3,700-square-mile northeastern Illinois region, with responsibility for day-to-day operations, fare and service levels, capital improvements and planning.
This section contains fact sheets designed for quick reference on various aspects of Metra. Additional information on Metra’s operating statistics can be found in the menu on the left under the Operations and Ridership link.
- State of Good Repair (June 2016)
- Metra at a Glance (April 2016)
- Rolling Stock Modernization Plan (March 2016) Overview of Metra's Rolling Stock Modernization Plan, announced in 2014.
- Positive Train Control (March 2016) Describes PTC technology and Metra's progress toward implementing this safety system.
- Chicago Union Station (January 2016) Overview of the Chicago Union Station Master Plan and Union Station design study
- MD-W Fox River Bridge Improvement Project
- Union Pacific West Line Third Main Project
- Union Pacific North Line - Bridge Replacement and Ravenswood Station Rehabilitation
- Capital Program (May 2015) Summary of Metra’s 2010-2019 investments in the replacement, reconstruction, and maintenance of rolling stock, track and structures, signal, electrical and communications systems, station facilities, and other assets
- Rider Profile (May 2015) Demographic profile of Metra ridership
- Rolling Stock Inventory (March 2014) Inventory of Metra's locomotive and passenger car fleet
- Performance Measures: Peer Comparison (May 2015) Metra 2013 efficiency and effectiveness relative to six peer agencies, utilizing Office of Auditor General (OAG) 2007 Report methodology