- Installed all PTC equipment
- Acquired all necessary radio spectrum
- Trained all necessary personnel
- Initiated revenue service PTC demonstration on one line.
PTC Costs and Funding
- Expense: PTC implementation is expected to cost Metra $350 million to $400 million, equal to the amount of federal funding Metra receives every 2½ years. And, PTC is expected to add $15 million to $20 million a year to Metra’s operating costs.
- Interoperability: PTC systems adopted by various railroads must be able to communicate with each other so that trains can move seamlessly between tracks controlled by different systems. Achieving PTC interoperability in Chicago will be especially complicated, since the region has the most complex railroad network in the country.
- Technology availability: PTC technology had to be developed, so off-the-shelf systems could not be purchased and certain components have only recently become available.
- Bandwidth availability: To support PTC-related transmissions, railroads must secure sufficient radio spectrum bandwidth from existing license holders.